As General Conference comes up, I thought about the experiences I had getting to know Elder David A. Bednar. He was the President of Rick's College up in Rexburg, ID when I attended college.At first, I was extremely intimidated by him. I knew him as a "man of great power and authority." But one day, I ran into him by chance and he started to talk to me. He told me that he knew my name, and that I was engaged to me married. I was awe-struck. This man that I'd never met knew ME...not just my name, but who I was! It was crazy.
A year later, when Ryan graduated from the paramedic program, I talked to him again. He again called me by name, and asked how I was feeling. I didn't know what I'd done to deserve such attention from the President of the college. But, I felt special that he knew me on a more personal level. He was called to the Quorum of the Seventy during the time when Rick's College was being integrated into a 4-year university called BYU-Idaho. It wasn't much of a surprise, but I was sad to know I'd never have another "run-in" with him anymore. Then he was called as an Apostle and I was thrilled that I'd more chances to hear him speak.
Even though I've only had those couple experiences actually talking to him, I started paying more attention to what he said at different seminars and devotionals he gave. I realized that I wasn't the only one who had these experiences. I also realized that he has a gift to relate to this generation. Listening to him in person before and now on the TV, I can tell that he sticks to the doctrine of the Church, but opens our minds and hearts to understanding it in ways that this generation can relate to.
If I were to run into him again now, I'm not sure he'd know me by name anymore, but I'm sure he'd recognize me and still ask how I'm doing.