The Kiddos

The Kiddos
Cambri, Adelie, Zac

May 06, 2014

My three year hiatus...

WOW.  Has it really been 3+ years since I've written on my blog?  I'm just amazed I remembered I had one...or two...or three!!!

Well, my goal is to write a blog post every month.  To keep myself and others updated on our family's life.  But mostly it's so I can share my thoughts and feelings, as I've been having a lot lately (sheesh...)!

So...instead of updating what we've been doing the last three years, I think I'll just pick up right here and tell you what we're doing now!

Currently, we live in Miami, FL, but our time here is nearly at its end.  We knew we would only be here for a year, so we planned on living it up: going to the beach as often as possible, sight seeing, living the adventures Miami has to offer...with the limited money we have, and enjoying the sun {...and humidity?} while it lasted.  Initially, Miami had it's charms...I was engulfed by the culture and diversity of this place.  I LOVED it!  Everyone seemed to be so nice, and I told Ryan I feel like I fit in perfectly with the people here.  It's easy to love where you're living when the locals are so welcoming.  I've been told that Miami people are rude, selfish, and stick to their own.  I still have yet to see any of this...

And what better place to live than in a vacation area!  I've had so many friends and family come to visit and it's made the hardships of being so geographically far away from family easier to bear!  It's fun that they want to come see Miami...and me...and my family....but mostly me!  ha ha...

In August, we'll pack up once again and move back to Phoenix, AZ.  So, I'm determined to live more, see more, and do more in Miami so I can feel like I can leave this amazing place with no regrets!

Ryan....well, let's just say that this year of Cardiac Fellowship has been a roller coaster of ups, downs, flips, lightning fast turns, and abrupt stops.  {without the upbrupt stops...I just said that because I had to make it sound like his life isn't THAT hard...but honestly, it is!}  With each passing adventure, Under Grad School, Medical School, Residency, and Fellowship....I keep hoping life would get a little easier and that Ryan and I could find a good balance between work, church, and family.  'Tis not so.  Life just gets busier, harder, and more challenging than the next.  It makes me wonder if it's just the life of a perpetual "student," or if life really does get harder with each adventure...I'm hoping for at least a couple years of plateau in AZ before life throws another curve ball at us!  

Ryan has the amazing ability to stay strong spiritually through all of this stress.  It's hard when you can count on your two hands how many times you've been to church in the past 9 months because you've been on call.  Knowing that Christ went about healing and performing miracles on the Sabbath day is comforting to me when I think of Ryan.  He's doing just that too, in a sense.  Saving lives...

Me?  As much of an open book that I am...there's been a whole LOT of crazy stuff happening inside my brain this year!  I can't seem to make sense of all of it, and yet try to stay my happy usual self.  But I think I'll go into more detail in a different post...where I can focus on just that subject.  But I've been keeping busy with church, family, and Zumba.  It seemed like the moment I stepped into Miami, Heavenly Father has put me to work with the Youth of this area.  And I wouldn't have it ANY other way!  Seeing them and their faith, fun attitudes, and youth makes me very optimistic about the future.  I love seeing them united in strength and testimony.  {They are still youth though...PLENTY of fun to be had,...and that's something I'll always like!}  I just finished helping with the Ft. Lauderdale Temple Cultural Celebration.  It was a 9 week preparation, 1500+ youth, traveling, organizing, teaching, choreography, music, etc ordeal!  And I was just in charge of Choreography for my ward/stake -- there were 6 stakes all together.  My friend said she thinks that  event was the reason my family are here in Miami...I agree!  It was a once in a lifetime opportunity, but also something that strengthened my testimony, something I could hold on to, when the creeping doubts came.  And now with the temple dedicated, I'm resolved to attending AS MUCH as I can!

Cambri....Oh, what a sweet girl she is becoming!  I am so blessed to have such a stable first daughter, who loves responsibility and is naturally gifted with maternal love.  Right now, she's continuing her karate, which she got 1st place in her Kata and 2nd place in her sparring!  They gave her medals...so awesome.  She can also do 2 push ups with claps in between.  She's a really strong girl!  Lately, we've become {I'd like to think} Best Friends.  With my focus being family, I've tried taking each of my kids out on a personal date.  Cambri and I love to go to Starbucks and get hot chocolates and talk about school and boys.  Yes...we talk about boys.  I'm pretty lucky that my tween daughter will talk to me about her crushes and be so open with me.  I hope it's like that forever.  I love my relationship with her!  Cambri also started piano lessons (finally)!!!  I love hearing her practice.

Adelie is pretty much the smartest 2nd grader at her school -- I'm not saying that as a biased parent...She really is!  She's excelling so much!  She's become quite the book worm, always reading.  She told me that she'd like to start playing the violin again so I've found one of my young women who plays the violin to teach her.  Adelie is so gifted musically...it's like it's in her blood.  She's coming along really nicely!  Hearing her and Cambri practice is really soothing to my soul.  Even though there are squeaks, and misplaced notes, I still LOVE hearing the sound of my kids playing their musical instruments!

Zacy continues to awe me in his engineering discoveries.  He's so practical and once he sees something done, he can duplicate it.  His obsessions for light bulbs and electricity have grown and he's now adamant that every light in the house work properly...he's fascinated by watts and the different colors of luminance.  He's come along a lot socially too.  There are times when he's very reserved and grumpy towards people, but he actually says hi to his classmates and even to others at church!  WHOA!  Perhaps he's more like me than I think.  I was very much like that as a child.  Our next projects together will be to (1) put new light bulbs in the chandelier above the stairs -- which I had to get the 16' ladder out to accomplish it...it's all set up, I just have to buy the light bulbs -- please pray for me, lol!  And, (2) make a home made volcano...he's VERY excited about this one!!!  He's definitely my hands-on little boy!  Gosh, I love him so much!

Ethnie is now 18 months old...and drifting further and further away from baby-hood into toddler-hood.  It makes me sad to think that she was once so dependent on my help and now she's almost utterly independent of my help (unless I become a means to and end...then she DEMANDS my attention).  Getting dressed is my favorite part of the day with her.  She LOVES to pick out her outfits and shoes.  And she loves to have her hair fixed!  She loves all things soft: blankets, stuffed animals, pillows, etc.  If it's soft, it gets a hug and some very wet kisses!  She's also starting to talk.  {her first work: shoes!  Not surprised!}  She's obsessed with Frozen and Wreck it Ralph.  We watch both movies multiple times, but in sections...she still can't stay still for more than 10 minutes!   She loves to play with her food...play in the water...and play with everything!  I can't believe she'll be two this year!  crazy!

Well, now that i've spent most of my free time....I mean laundry time...writing this post, Ethnie's now up from her nap and it's time to go play again!  Hopefully I'll be back soon with another boring to you, exciting for me blog post!

And possibly pictures too!  I feel like Gaston from Beauty and the Beast...."But there aren't any pictures!"

You'll just have to imagine Ryan stressed, me crazy, Cambri doing a karate chop kick, Adelie playing her violin, Zacy changing light bulbs, and Ethnie trying on every shoe in her drawer!!!  Good luck!

xx,
Katy