A) I was at the Nihon-Matsuri (Japanese Festival) in 2007. My age: 26, Two kids, Married for 6 years. Right! While waiting in line to get my girl's middle names, Reiko and Sueko, written in Kanji, I was startled to see the guy in front of me turn around and ask my name. He was obviously an adolescent to me, but I thought I'd humor him. I told him my name and then he asked, "Cool. Where do you go?" Oh, the possibilities..."The Bathroom, Playgroup, Volleyball every Thurs, Dates with Hubby...." Instead, I just gave him the blank look. He then re-directed his question to "Where do you go to school." I replied by saying I had a Bachelor's of Science Degree in Math and Music, AND a husband with 2 kids. (Eyes going WIDE)...then his reply, "Oh! uh....my sister goes to college...."
Yeah, give up DUDE!
B) I was with my sister somewhere, eating dinner. Age:28, 3 kids, married 8 years. Right! the waiter asks if we are sisters. Obvious....duh! Then since we were both going through a crisis at the time, we wanted to have a little bit of fun. I asked him which one he thought was older. (I was the younger one) He pointed at me. My sister laughed because that's always the case with her. She gets it worse than I do. Then he went on to say that we were at least 21 and 22... Yeah! I've graduated from the teens!!!
We left full and spirits back to par.
C) Yesterday: Age:29, 3 kids, married almost 9 yrs. Right! I had to pick my kids up from the day care after my Zumba class. Though I was supposed to sign some papers before I left. I decided to grab the kids and then go sign. I was almost up on my 90 FREE minutes. When my boss saw me, she said, "ALL those yours???" I said, "YUP" My other instructor said, "Wait! you have THREE???" I said, "Yeah, I'm a WHOLE LOT OLDER THAN I LOOK (wink) !!!"
D) **TONIGHT** Age:29, 3 Kids, Married almost 9 years. Right!!! I was waiting on the couch in the church Foyer while the scouts and their leaders cleared out of the gym so I could teach my Zumba class. A man stared at me for a while,...I could tell he was trying to figure me out. Then he approached me and tried to make some small talk. Here it goes:
"So, are you lost?"
"uh...No..."
"Oh, are you stranded out here waiting for your PARENTS to come and take you home?"
"Wow, ummm...My parents live in Utah."
"Oh...oh, okay. hmmm...."
"I teach a Zumba class after you guys are done."
"Oh, what? Zuhhhmmba??? oh, Zoooomba."
"yeah..."
************INTERMISSION**************
it gets better!
In the clerk's office getting things squared away with scheduling.
Me: "Bro. Edwards, I'm taking off...."
Bro E: "Okay...hey, perhaps you (speaking to another woman) would like to try out this Zumba stuff."
Woman: "What is Zumba?"
Me: "Latin Based Fitness exercise."
Women: "What are you doing this for?"
Me: "Uhhhh....to help people relax and have fun exercising at the same time..."
Woman: "Who...like Relief Society? Young Women?"
Me: "Anyone in the Stake who want to exercise!"
Woman: "How OLD are you?"
Me (smirking): "...29"
Woman (wide eyed) and Bro. E. (Staring): "Well aren't you the cutest little 29 year old I've ever seen..."
Me: "yes...cute..."
SHEESH! I did truly think I was graduated to at least mid 20's. But now it's apparent that something needs to change (first things that go in these kind of situations is my HAIR) so I can at least look a little more than a 18 year old young woman who's looking for some project to do for her personal progress award.
It makes me wonder what goes on in those people's heads when they see me...then they see my kids...not all small kids...one is almost 8, the other two could be twins...and then I wonder if they thing I was a teen pregnancy girl, who had to drop out of high school and somehow got lucky with the doctor husband.
Don't be fooled if my next post is of me with my new hair do. It'd be a fun before and after picture, eh????