I logged onto Facebook this morning started scrolling. I usually post pictures and the like at night time, when everyone else has already gone (or are already deep) asleep, and I like to see what kind of activity they've received while I was enjoying my own meager hours of sleep. Today, almost every other post was a link shared about an LDS (Mormon -- the religion I belong to) woman named Kate Kelly & some others. She is facing excommunication from the church...yadda yadda yadda....you can read about it, here.
The point is, after every shared link, there was a list of comments of people sharing their opinions on the matter: whether they agreed with it or not. Why I looked? Because, for some weird reason, I like to read what other peoples' opinions are about controversial matters. I should just realize I'm setting myself up for disaster every time I do this, because what I find usually leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Most of the comments I read this time were really nasty...in my opinion.
Sad...in my opinion.
So, it got me thinking: Why Do Opinions Really Matter & Why Do People Feel The Need To Share Them? There's just something in the desire to be heard, or the need to express your beliefs. For some, it's almost a crime NOT to share your opinion (and they have something to say about EVERYTHING), and there are others who are just fine keeping things to themselves. Where am I? I think I'm somewhere in the middle. I don't consider myself a strongly opinionated person, especially not on social media...in my opinion. There are times when I share a link (mostly about Common Core) where I know I'm gonna get a thrashing from the "opinion whip." But generally, I try to be as silent as possible, and ignore the pulling of that comment box! There have been some times where I feel the need to neutralize a comment battle, because when it comes to that point, neither party is listening to what the other has to say, if they ever really listened at all. But it comes to that question again, "Why do I feel the need to express my opinion?" Is it really up to me to calm a stormy debate on FB, or once in a while comment on a post that I feel strongly about?
At home, my husband gets an earful...in my opinion. Sorry, Ryan!
Awwwwww....Ahem. Sorry, I got distracted...(why are my legs so freakishly darker than the rest of my body? lol)
Well, up until now, I've been an more of a side-line observer to the "Ordain Women" controversy...in my opinion. Mostly because I'm still not sure where I stand in the matter. And although I haven't really made a real stand for or against it, I almost was ashamed at some of the comments I read on some of the shared links...in my opinion.
So, now that I'm all fired up...in my opinion...I will share with you via Blog, what my opinions are about this and EVERY single religious controversial issue that shows up (please know that I'm referring to all religions, but because I'm Christian, I will be referencing Christ. Feel free to insert whatever Diety you worship because the principle remains the same!):
Things I wish I Heard LESS of...In my opinion:
(Ok, I'll stop saying that phrase!)
1) If you don't like it, don't stay. Probably the WORST statement ever when it comes to religion. And for those of you who are Christians, Christ NEVER taught this! There are many times where he invites people who don't share the same opinions and beliefs to be with him. In the Bible, you can read in Matthew 11:18, "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." Or take this example: Luke 5:27-32
27 ¶And after these things he went forth, and saw a publican, named Levi, sitting at the receipt of custom: and he said unto him, Follow me.
29 And Levi made him a great feast in his own house: and there was a great company of publicans and of others that sat down with them.
30 But their scribes and Pharisees murmured against his disciples, saying, Why do ye eat and drink with publicans and sinners?
31 And Jesus answering said unto them, They that are whole need not a physician; but they that are sick.
...and are we not all "sinners?" Allow people to believe what they believe, but NEVER tell them NOT to stay with the faith you both belong to just because they believe differently than you! You can say that if they're talking about Disney Land...but not religion!2) They got what they deserved. Grrrrrrrrr.....Probably the statement that I get most fired up with when reading or hearing. Here's what I think...in my opin...{SLAP!}
John 8
3 And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst,
6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.
7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him firstcast a stone at her.
9 And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.
10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?
12 ¶Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.
The people who are chosen and assigned to preside over a body of people, whether it's a large group or a small one, and look over the spiritual affairs of that group, have a REALLY tough job. They've been given the responsibility to be a "judge." ...BUT WE HAVE NOT. When tempted to deal out justice or condemnation, whether its in my head or typing it in a comment box, I remind myself (and am VERY grateful) that God is our Judge and only He knows our hearts. {Don't get this confused with how we judge right from wrong in our own lives. I'm just saying we should not ever deal out judgement where it is not our place.}3) 'She/He' is only going to marry or date someone who shares 'her/his' beliefs. There's a HUGE difference between "she/he is" and "I will." Please let 'them' state 'their' own beliefs and if 'they' haven't, don't put words into 'their' mouths!
5) No one ever fellowshipped me. In relation to no. 4, I think that one of the biggest reasons why we have this statement, and why I'm tired of hearing it, is because we've been taught to silence our concerns and to rely more on faith. I'm reading the Bible and it's amazing to read how many endless questions the disciples of Christ had for him. Why did they ask? Because they didn't know! Why did they ask again? Because it didn't make sense to them the first time..or second time...or third time. The point is - They asked! Christ understood that even his closest followers needed teaching. He understood that people would need the answers, multiple times.
Why do I wish I heard this particular statement less? It's because I wish it weren't even a statement at all. I wish more people felt comfortable asking questions, without fear of being patronized, mocked, shunned, or even estranged from the group. Even more importantly without the fear of feeling dumb, ashamed, or guilty for their feelings. Christ answered his disciples' questions with love and understanding. He taught them that we should "love our neighbor as ourselves." He taught them to "feed my sheep."
S....l....o.....w....l...y.........I.....n....h....a.....l......e.....
now.........E......x.....h......a....l..e....
I hope in reading this, you can now feel comfortable sharing your opinions and feelings with me. I'm not even quite sure I answered my own question. Honestly, I think it might be one of those "on-going" questions that will take years and eons to discover. But for now, I'm ok with my current opinions on the matter...in my opinion, wink wink.
XOXO,
Katy








